Tuesday, October 2, 2007

So today my feathered kids decided to cheer me up with their crazy antics. I have half a dozen Buff Orpinton chickens that I have raised from day old balls of fluff. They've been through their trauma, but they are fabulous birds.

About 6 weeks ago, our town was hit by a wicked thunderstorm with 70 mph winds and hail that destroyed corn crops, stripped paint off of houses, and injured my babies. Two of them were trapped under my daughter's climber. It's a slide/climbing wall/fort combination made of heavy plastic that probably weighs at least 150 pounds all assembled. The wind blew it 12 feet, sideways, to land on their legs. One's leg was broken, the other's had a gash clear to the bone. Another chicken had a broken leg from getting pelted by the hail, and I found a fourth hiding under a pile of lumber. Initially she seemed ok, but I realized later that she must have gotten beaned by the hail and had a concussion of sorts. Without going through the details of our bathtub hospital, I will say that they've all recovered nicely! I was told that I'd probably have to put them all to sleep, but these guys are more pets than livestock, and there was no way I was going to do that unless I absolutely had to!

Anyway, to return the favor, I had a rough day, so my kids decided to cheer me up. My daughter and I were out in the garden picking some of the last of the carrots, when one of the birds snuck over and grabbed her pacifier. She ran off with it and when I gave chase, she dropped it and ran. In the meantime, another bird picked up the pacifier and ran for it. You should have seen my daughter and I, chasing this bird around the garden with a pacifier in it's mouth! I wish I had pictures; it was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!

I'm glad those birds are still around...

1 comment:

vetpath said...

Funny Story about the pacifier